The Wind Ensemble is considered the top performing ensemble for the band program and is open to students in grades nine through twelve, although most students are grades 11 and 12. In order to be a member of this group, students must:
• demonstrate the highest level of musical maturity, technical proficiency, and commitment to performances, rehearsals, practice time, and private lessons (It is strongly recommended that each Wind Ensemble student take individual private lessons in order to maintain the technical demands of the course)
• pursue individual and ensemble goals on their instrument
• attend weekly region sectionals during the fall semester
• attend weekly sectionals held either before or after school between the months of January and May
• attend a full ensemble rehearsal once weekly outside of the school day as scheduled during the spring semester
• prepare and audition for the All-Region Band
• prepare and perform a solo and an ensemble at a KISD Solo & Ensemble competition
• attend additional performance opportunities specific to the Wind Ensemble Wind Ensemble members cannot miss rehearsal from the beginning of school until the final performance for anything other than school-sponsored competition, illness, or emergency.
Members of the Wind Ensemble are required to register for the corresponding section of Instrumental Ensemble. Performance Level 6 is required for placement in the wind ensemble (see Minimum Skills Chart and FRHS Grading Description).